Thursday, July 28, 2005

Backing Up Blog On A Regular Basis

I know this topic has been brought up before but I thought it is important enough to bring up again as it can happen to any one of us. Recently a well known blogger in Singapore got her Blogger and Gmail account hacked. The hacker deleted all 3000 e mails and 3 years worth of posts in 12 blogs. Before reading about this incident it has never occur to me that I should back up my blog in a local drive (yes, really silly of me) but from now on, I think I will make it a point to archive on a regular basis.

I don’t think there are Typepad users more ignorant than me but anyway, here is how you export your blog into your computer.
http://help.typepad.com/weblogs/manage.html#exporting_your_weblog_content"

ST

8 comments:

Evgeniy and Stepan. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elise said...

Here are back up directions if you use Movable Type: http://www.elise.com/mt/archives/000587backing_up_your_blog.php

Ruth said...

Do you happen to know if Blogger has such a link?

Joe said...

Sort of Elise - here are the instructions for blogger

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=130&query=backup&topic=0&type=f

Joe said...

Sorry, forgot it doesnt auto link

Sort of Elise - here are the instructions for blogger

Click here to link to Blogger's answer for back ups

Ruth said...

Thanks, of course not being a real techie, I will ask my hubby to do this for me ;-) It sounds complicated. I have been saving every post and the template in word files on my computer. Will I be able to use those in an emergency?

Clare Eats said...

Hi Ruth
It would be in an emergency, as long as you are saving the html page and not the compose page. It will still take a while to fix.

Ruth said...

Thanks and one last question....how do you make a hyper link in these comment sections?