Thursday, June 15, 2006

[New Site] Netscape Food

I should just point out that I write for weblogs inc which is part of AOL. AOL have just relaunched netscape as a thingy.. not sure what they are called actually but its like Digg (as all you web-savvy people will be aware of). Unlike digg, that is just geeky-stuff, there is a food section on netscape version (along with many others).

You can submit stories (links to sites/blogs etc) that you think are newsworthy. Other people can vote on them. The more votes the higher the story appears. It is all very interesting and is really guarenteed to drive huge amounts of traffic to well voted upon sites.

So I am suggesting that you register and play around with it - no voting on your own sites stories though! It would be great if the scool got behind this and supported fellow members writings and throw traffic at those that deserve it. I have submitted a couple of stories but most of the existing stuff is old. The service only started today...

http://travel.beta.netscape.com/

I should point out that it is in beta and doesnt display correctly in IE7. You can read more at techcrunch.


This Post was written by andrew from spittoon.

13 comments:

Kalyn said...

Andrew, I tried to sign up. But when I put in my e-mail address I get an error message that says "invalid e-mail". Any advice?

Andrew said...

not really... i managed ok with mine. if you would like a gmail account to test with I can send you an invite if you like.

L said...

This looks like it could be pretty cool... although it also doesn't play well with Flock. The login seems buggy - I'm logged in on the home page, but not on the food page.

Also - is there anyway to add a "vote" type thing to your blog posts, like Digg has? I did a bit of poking around the site, but didn't see anything that looked like "instructions for bloggers"

Kalyn said...

Andrew, I have a gmail account so I used it to register. I submitted a story just for the heck of it - how to freeze fresh basil. Seems like this could be fun.

Andrew said...

I am not 'in' on the team so can only guess at the plans but I would assume that a vote on netscape gizmo to add to blog posts will appear eventually; especially as Jason Calacanis is such a blog fan.

What we need is a way to advertise or announce the submitted stories -like kalyn's basil post... I cant see it on th esite to cast a vote. Although I do see ILoveChickens salmonella post.

The rss feed for the food/travel (why link those two together?) isnt working.

nika said...

kewl stuff. Will give it a try because you said to Andrew :-).

Its not imtuitive until you sign up, then its pretty easy.

thanks for the heads up

Kalyn said...

It seems like there is a bit of lag time, because now I can see my basil post showing but it wasn't there yesterday. One thing I didn't do that I should have was put "blog" as a tag. I didn't notice it was on the list of tags until after I had posted it.

Andrew said...

I received an email from Jason Calacanis - the guy behind weblogs inc and this netscape thing.

They grouped travel and food together because they wanted to keep the groups to a certain number.

There will be a widgety-picket thing to add to everyones blogs.

Seeing how much interest this has created the fact he responded in person (i doubt he even realises I write for slashfood and the photo blog) and very quickly indicates they are responsive to feedback - so any issues or suggestions should be sent to them.

I would like to see a way to edit a post once submitted for example.

David said...

Thanks for the tip, Andrew. I threw a few links up and it was simple, albeit slow, since I kept getting the dreaded spinning-disk as I clicked around.
Still, Netscape seems like it will be an effective directory with good content, designed for easy navigation.

Jess said...

Great, thanks for the tip, Andrew. I just submitted some as well: one on Taste of London and some news about the famous grilled cheese sandwich at Borough Market. Agree there needs to be some promotion for the site and posts.

sbobet said...

thanks ysboou for arsbochive

ibc said...

Hevron, and other ancient Jewish sites in ibcbetJudea and Samaria also are on the

s365 said...

nice topic thank you and thumb up !
sbo