Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Slow Photo Loading on TypePad

Loading photos to TypePad has become excruciatingly slow, to the point where it's seriously affecting my workflow and causing me to consider moving to another service. TypePad Helpdesk confirmed this is a problem they are aware of: "The problems you're seeing are probably related to an issue we're working on that's related to high Comment, Post, or TrackBack counts. In your case, the all of the Post and Comment counts are pretty high.[note: I've had the blog about 14 months and there are 309 posts and 1153 comments -- less than 4 comments per post -- and I expect to be doing this for years, so their comment that they think these counts are high is extremely discouraging news] Basically, the database is making queries for Posts, TrackBacks, and Comments and because it's a large number, it might be timing out before the query is complete. This will cause errors like the ones you've been seeing."

TypePad has so far refused to provide me with a timeframe for a repair to this problem so I'm considering moving on...can't spend my life staring at the screen waiting for something to happen (only to get a timeout message and have to start it again).

This has really put a damper on my blogging...is anyone else having this type of problem with TP? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...

This Post was written by Stephen from Stephencooks.

5 comments:

Cybele said...

I don't have any specific comments about typepad as a hosted service but I have some general ones.

It seems that the webhosts don't want the business of successful sites. I had (as have a lot of other bloggers) problems with my old host saying that my blog was using too much of the server CPU ... which was really because they were hosting over 200 sites on one server. Do they really expect that I'm going to stay under .5% of the CPU resources at all times?

I get the impression that webhosts want everyone to have all these superbig hosting accounts with big dreams of success but to never use them to their potential.

I would press Typepad to find out if they're interested in having robust and popular blogs on their system ... better to know now so you can get out while the getting's good.

stephen said...

The problems at TypePad seem to be cyclical...they market the hell out of the service, signing up new accounts right and left, but don't update the software and hardware to smoothly scale up the load-handling...then when the situation reaches crisis proportions and the blogosphere is buzzing with the sounds of bloggers talking about bailing they go into code-red and promise all sorts of stuff to their bloggers to keep them...last time around I got 3 months free service as part of the code-red action..and things did improve...

...when they refused to give a timeframe for the fix I told them that I would be publicizing to the foodblogosphere that I'm planning to leave TP and why and they came back with a statement that they "hope" it will be fixed in a few weeks...I told them I'd stick it out another month to see if they deliver but then I'm bailing...

kamagra said...

I think typepad is a great site, easy to use and easy to create blogs, in all the years I have had the account, I haven't got any issue.

Portrait photographer Essex said...

amazing site of typepad .

Weddings London said...

Nice post . keep up the good work