Tuesday, September 19, 2006

[Blog content] Updating restaurant posts

What is a good policy on updates to blog posts? I wrote a post about a Colombian restaurant on my blog. Later the same week, I returned to the restaurant to try its fast food menu and thought it'd be good to write about it -- they have amazing hot dogs. I don't necessarily want to write another post about the same restaurant. I think it's a good idea to just update the post so that all the information about that particular place stays together. However, I'm not sure if by doing this some readers will miss out on new information. It occurs to me that this is a situation that may come up if repeated visits to the same restaurant yield information worthy of mention, but I'm rather new at this so I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. Any ideas?

This question was written by Paula at Mango&Lime

5 comments:

cybele said...

I usually write another post and then update the original one with a note that says that there's another post with new information.

Sam said...

i do the same as cybele
i link to the old post in the new post
and reverse link to the new post from the old post too, because sometimes the old post will have a higher google rating than the new one and if people find the old post then they will still be able to see the updated post

Paula said...

I thought of cross-linking too. That sounds like a good way to update the site and alerting readers to related content. Thanks guys!

nika said...

If I do a series (sometimes I dont know it will be a series until it happens that way) I go back to the older posts and have a listing of links of related posts at the bottom (did this with a whole series I did on cooking Colombian foods). That really helps people navigate to related content that they would not have seen at all otherwise.

Rachael said...

You could just make a note (in italics works) at the bottom of an unrelated (new) post directing people to your updated (older) post. Then update the older post with a postscript...

Just an idea...