Saturday, January 20, 2007

Typepad calendar spam et al.

Hello typepad users out there!

I used to be quite happy with my typepad account, but lately, I have found a few things that drive me up the wall:

1) Some time at the beginning of January, without a word of warning, typepad must have made changes to its software which converted all entry headers into hyperlinks. Not a bad idea per se, if it didn't come with the obvious design disadvantage of every header now being a certain style (different from your normal configuration as it follows the style set for all hyperlinks) and also being underlined. Any ideas how you could change this? I know I could change the hyperlink style in the CSS, but I am keen on keeping hyperlinks visible as hyperlinks in any other place. HELP!

2) This morning, I discovered that somebody must have hacked into my calendar module (or it might be a typepad-wide issue) - dates on which I haven't posted are now a link in the calendar and rather than linking to one of my posts, as they normally would, you're sent off to an external site (I have completely removed the module now, so can't tell you which site it is.) There are no other changes, as far as I can see, no posts appearing in the "recent posts" module or archives, but there are these links in the calendar module itself.
As far as I can see, this module is not something I can even change in the html, can I? So I am at a loss here - I have opened a help ticket with typepad and will keep you updated on this if they find a solution. But in the meantime, can you let me know whether you've come across this as well and how you've solved it?

PS: I have the highest level of access, ie typepad pro. This allows me to change HTML and CSS wherever I need to.

This Post was written by johanna from thepassionatecook.com

8 comments:

Silverbrow said...

Johanna

I can't help with the calendar, but I'm not sure you're right about Typepad changing the headings into links - hasn't happened on my blog. I haven't looked at your CSS but I guess it might be something to do with the attribution around your headers.

Andrew said...

Johanna
I don't use typepad so cant comment on that issue, but having titles as links is a good thing - at least those search engine opitmizing experts say so. They give the search engines a nice thing to play with apparently.

I dont think it looks too bad on your site but to remove the under line you need to change the css a link code.


a { text-decoration: none; }

should work.

paul said...

Not sure what would change your entry headers into hyperlinks if they weren't that way before, but here's the CSS rule to target just the entry headers for styling.

.entry-header a {
text-decoration: none;
}

In English, this reads: remove the underline from hyperlinks that are enclosed in the class of entry-header

Since all your headers already have that class applied, this will allow you to style the linked headers anyway you want, but keep all other hyperlink styles the way they were.

Elise said...

Johanna, since you are paying for a pro account at Typepad, it comes with support. You might want to open a support ticket at typepad.com. I know several of the support people personally and have found them to be very helpful.

kitchenmage said...

Johanna,

Yes, they did change the titles to links, and the post I read indicated that it was a change that you would see immediately if you republished or 'soon' if you didn't. This is probably why not everyone knows about it.

Thx, Andrew and Paul for the CSS snippet, I need to fix mine too! I wish they had done links and left the style alone. I assume that titles are links, even if they don't look like it and it's just ugly!

The calendar, I have no clue about.

Carla said...

Johanna, keep us posted. I was thinking of adding a calendar on an internal blog but now I'm less apt to. I'll be interested to know what typepad support says.

thepassionatecook said...

Hello people,

sorry for posting this cry for help then not responding... but i did have a baby in between, so it took me a while to get back up and running!

thanks for your suggestions, i will try paul's trick for entry headers asap.

with regards to the calendar, if anyone else has had this problem: typepad responded to republish the sidebar the calendar was contained in and sure enough that solved the problem - so everything is working now and no strange links appearing!

silverbrow: funnily enough, not all headers have changed on mine (which is doubly annoying in terms of consistency), but i have spoken to a number of typepad users and they've all had this problem!
even weirder if it didn't happen on yours!

while i agree that having the headers as a link is a good thing in principle, i am not too keen on the style/look it gives my posts, so in order to keep them, i'd have some redesign to do.

again, thanks for your help!

thepassionatecook said...

Hello people,

sorry for posting this cry for help then not responding... but i did have a baby in between, so it took me a while to get back up and running!

thanks for your suggestions, i will try paul's trick for entry headers asap.

with regards to the calendar, if anyone else has had this problem: typepad responded to republish the sidebar the calendar was contained in and sure enough that solved the problem - so everything is working now and no strange links appearing!

silverbrow: funnily enough, not all headers have changed on mine (which is doubly annoying in terms of consistency), but i have spoken to a number of typepad users and they've all had this problem!
even weirder if it didn't happen on yours!

while i agree that having the headers as a link is a good thing in principle, i am not too keen on the style/look it gives my posts, so in order to keep them, i'd have some redesign to do.

again, thanks for your help!