Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Great new way to add post permalink to your feed

Recently I'm having more and more trouble with people stealing my feed content, despite the fact that I've had a Blogger feed item footer for quite a while which clearly identifies the contents as belonging to my blog. A few days ago I found a website with a tab that said "Food" and the entire content of my blog for the last several months was there, with the feed item footer clearly displayed.

Not only does it concern me that my content is being used by other sites, but I also want to protect the identity of my posts so that a stolen version can't show up in a google search result above my post. (Talk about adding insult to injury.)

Yesterday I read a post about Blog Tips by BlogHer tech editor Virginia DeBolt. She talked about a new Feedburner option through Feed Flare, which inserts an author tag in the feed at the end of each post which contains the individual post permalink. Virginia points out that not only is this a good way to discourage scrapers, but it clearly identifies for Google which copy of any particular post is the original. Virginia pointed me to a post by Amanda at Blogger Buster who created the author and permalink feed flare. Using those two sources, I easily added this to my blog feed last night. Now at the end of each post in the feed, there's a line that reads:

Written by Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen

and if you click it, it takes you to that post on my blog. (Anyone who subscribes to my blog should be able to see it in the feed on today's post.)

This is for anyone who uses Feedburner, not just for Blogger users. I'm very excited about it, and thought other people might find it useful.


This Post was written by Kalyn from Kalyn's Kitchen

8 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Thanks, Kalyn! This was very easy to add, and such a great idea.

Sam said...

thanks for sharing!

Kalyn Denny said...

So glad you two liked the idea as well. I'm very happy with how it's working.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Thanks Kalyn, for a great tip. I'm going to do this right away.

Almost Vegetarian said...

I was reading this, thinking it is a good idea, when it dawned on me that I should share my most recent post with other food bloggers (sorry - no idea how to put up a post here, so I'm hoping commenting isn't too bad).

It's about PR people. I decided it was time to give them some tips on how to deal with us without driving us nuts (like, hello, read the blog!). If you have any good tips, feel free to put them in the comment and maybe, just maybe, we will quit getting a lot of irrelevant junk in our in-box.

Here's the address:
http://almostvegetarian.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-talk-to-blogger-so-you-get.html

Cheers all!

(We're such bloggers sitting here typing as opposed to splashing in a cool this super hot day, aren't we?!)

Andrea Meyers said...

Great tip, and it was easy to set up. Thanks Kalyn!

Siri said...

Thanks Kalyn. I didn't know about such a service. It works like a cham!

Cheers,
Siri

Kalyn Denny said...

Since I wrote this post, I finally got 100% fed up with scrapers stealing my feed and used the blogger settings to change to "short feed." I wasn't sure how that would affect this, but the feed flare author tag still shows at the end of the feed, which I was happy to see.