Friday, February 22, 2008

"Smarter" Spammers Using http in Comment Name

I've noticed recently a large amount of spam coming from "smarter" spammers - they've now taken to doing two things:

- Using a URL as the Commenter's name (http://ww.sitename.com and re-inserting it into the website field)
- Leaving an "innocent" comment like "Great site." with no URLs so the spam isn't triggered

This type of comment was getting published directly onto my blog (Wordpress) since I do not have moderation on all comments. I have routed their efforts by turning on moderation anytime "http" is in the comment content, name, etc. This of course also will moderate a real comment with a link in it, but it's a temporary solution.

Hopefully Akismet will smarten up soon, but I imagine other blogs will have this same problem?

This Post was written by Sara from Ms. Adventures in Italy

7 comments:

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

PS:Instead of using "http", I have used "site" as the moderation word seeing as they aren't very imaginative and all comments are like "Nice site" etc...

Elizabeth said...

I am a big fan of Spam Karma and have it installed on my wordpress blog. It has caught these latest "nice site" spams and relegated them to the place they belong.

There are also other wordpress plug-ins available to moderate spam. A word of caution: I would stay away from "Bad Behaviour" (ha. appropriately named?). I had it installed at one point and it caused all sorts of problems.

Anonymous said...

Rather cool place you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

Best wishes
Jeph Normic

blue apron said...

are you not happy that someone commented on you blog? personally thinking, you should now delete them. only delete those comment that are out of the discussion.

criticpapa said...

whoa!!!, you had a passion in blogging, thumbs up for your work of love.. Hehe very inspiring ideas,


anyway I'm william
mind if I put a link back to you?


(clickable) ------> wide leg trousers

anabolic steroids said...

Thank you for bringing more information to this topic for me. I'm truly grateful and really impressed.
I love to read this blog very interesting

buying steroids said...

Good work , keep us posting , your a very good writer...
Nice site , Very Intresting post. Thank you .