Saturday, November 04, 2006

Blog not refreshing with new posts?

I'm not sure what the issue is, so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone knows what could be wrong. I've received a couple e-mails now with people telling me that they are not seeing the new posts that I make (I put up a post every day usually). Most of them are seeing a post from 5-7 days ago and they need to manually hit refresh for them to be able to see any updates. Is there a setting or some other issue that I'm unaware of that I could change to fix this?

Thanks for any help!

This Post was written by Joe from Culinary in the Desert

3 comments:

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

Seeing that you use blogger complicates how much *you* can do to help this situation.

My web monkey has suggestions to help you, esp at this link.

I'm not in a good place to interpret web-monkey-ese right now unfortunately (see previous comment about not being sober). If no one else comments- ping me later...

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

no- its not necessarily a problem with the viewers site.

Going to the link I provided last night, or this one here, which explains things much better, brings up the subject of 'no cache' meta tags and 'expires' meta tag.

[claim: not familiar with what templates blogger gives you access to]
If you have separate templates for your index vs your post template:
It looks like you need to get into your templates and specify that your index template contains an expires tag set to expire 12 hours from the initial user request. This is a dynamic tag, whose value you can set. Your template for your post should not expire.

Again:
- index template needs an expire or no cache
- post template no expire and yes on the cache.

This is just a theory- it would be an odd thing for blogger to change just willy nilly on you. And if Scott's right and its a viewer side issue- then that's a silly confluence of cache issues!

Joe said...

Thanks! I did put up a message with a note to hit refresh if they were not seeing any updates.

I appreciate the links - I'll have to read through them and see if I can comprehend what they are talking about! I'm not all sure what access I have with blogger.

Thanks again!