Monday, April 23, 2007

Feeds, social bookmarking

Entry level questions, I guess:

I have a Feedblitz subscription box on my blog. Is that what is known as the Site Feed? I've checked my settings/formatting and Site Feeds are enabled, but I don't have that orange feed button most blogs seem to have - how does it help and how does one get that?

How do you get Feedburner to tell you how many people get your blog feed? It constantly shows zero but I know that's not true.

How will it help to add social bookmarking sites like furl and reddit to my blog?
Thanks


This Post was written by Sra from When My Soup Came Alive

5 comments:

Andrew said...

Feedblitz is not a feed supplier. Feedblitz is an email newsletter type thing that send out your latest updates via email to subscribers.

To use RSS you need a seperate RSS reader - newsgator for example (which is just one of many). If you have signed up to feedburner they supply the code to place in your sidebar. This replaces the feed the site provides.

Two different ways to read the same information.

I am sure a blogger user will explain how to add the code and replace the auto detectable RSS with the feedburner code.

sra said...

Oh, thanks, Andrew, will check again and wait for the rest of the mystery to be revealed.

Susan Voisin said...

Sra, go to feedburner.com and log into your account. (If for some reason you don't have an account, create one and add your blog's feed.) Click on My Feeds (at the top) and then on the feed. From the tabs on that page, select Publicize and then click "friendly graphic" in the chickletize section. Select your icon, copy the code at the bottom of the page, and past it into your Blogger template. That's it!

While you're at feedburner, you might want to enable SmartFeed, if you haven't already. You can also use FeedFlares to add footers to your posts and feeds.

Madeline said...

I think it is important to add feeds to your site. I read somewhere that Google considers how many people read your feeds and whether they are bookmarked on social bookmarking sites. So, by making it easier for your readers to read your feeds and bookmark you, you help your Google Page Rank too.

sra said...

Okay, I've added a site feed. Now I should add social bookmarking sites, right? Thanks, Susan and Madeline.