Sunday, April 22, 2007

[Uploading and Posting Photos] Blogger hosted photos are blurry!

Forgive me if this has already been discussed - I didn't see it on the sidebar and nothing came up on a search (but I know the Blogger search function doesn't work all that well)..........

Anyway, I was posting photos to my blog and then to Flickr for my Flickr badge. I suddenly realized that the Blogger hosted image was very blurry while the Flickr hosted photo was quite sharp and clear.

I don't remember this always being the case........has something changed? Are they compressing photos to save on space?

Here's a link to my blog that shows the difference, which I think happens to be quite a large difference.

Looks like I won't be using Blogger for photo storage any longer............

This Post was written by Alysha from The Savory Notebook

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The trick is to upload a photo to your blog in the exact size you want to display, not the full sized original.

Each of the websites resize the photo. Flickr does a very good job of balancing sharpness and file size. Obviously Blogger does not have as good a program to resize your photo.

If you don't have your own software for resizing, using Flickr to do it for you might be a good option.

Alysha said...

Thanks for the info. I guess it's probably always been that way, I just never noticed? Here I've been blogging for over a year and I still have so much to learn! :)

I do have software that can resize, so I'll give that a try since it's easier to use Blogger to load the photos........

Anonymous said...

Many people at flickr actually have issues with how flickr can oversharpen one's images. It definitely out it through a sharp filter as it does its postprocess to generate the various sizes. I can not say what you should use if you want to generate your own smaller size. I use wordpress now and have used the WP mediate upload with my resizing on the fly with no problems. I always had problems with blogger uploaded images... That why I opened a flickr account in the first place.

Cybele said...

Here's a free site that will resize your photos. (This is especially helpful when you're not at your computer that has a program that does it.)

http://resizr.lord-lance.com/default.asp

It seems to have a good balance of keeping file size low and quality high.

Someone else may want to play around with it to see if it works well.

Kalyn Denny said...

Alysha, another thing to consider here besides how clear the images look is the file size it takes to have maximum sharpness in your images. If your picture files are too large, anyone with slow internet connection isn't going to click through to your site, even if they find it by searching. I've been told that recommended file size is about 15.5, so I try to keep my photos close to that number, even though it makes them a bit less clear. (Sometimes I make them a bit higher if they look really bad but not much more than that.) Obviously people who have a site where photos are their specialty don't want to lose photo quality in that way, but if you're wanting search engine traffic, it's something you need to consider.