Wednesday, April 11, 2007

trackback / pingback spam: strategies for minimizing their impact?

So most of the time, my spam catchers do their job but sometimes I get trackback or pingback spam.

Just FYI: I use akismet and Spam Karma 2 (latest version as of last week) on WP.

I delete these but its a few moments wasted on crap when I could be doing some other crap that I really should be doing. Yes, its always this crap or that crap *winks*.

Any suggestions on how to minimize this type of spam? I do hit the "spam" button in akismet and SK2 but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am also resigned to the fact that they are linking to my site from a PR0 or worse site that is just a scraper (bad news for one's PR when you have spam links coming in), I have no clue how to reverse that.. I don't think you can.


This Post was written by Nika from Nika's Culinaria

4 comments:

Anita (Married... with dinner) said...

I had no idea there was an ill effect of these. Great... now I have another reason to be livid about this, other than the mere fact that they're usually excerpting my copyrighted content when they do this.

Cybele said...

I gave up on trackbacks.

I've stopped accepting them on my site and displaying them. 99.99% of it was spam and the benefit of displaying other folks commenting on the posts was just too low. That and most of the legitimate stuff for my site at least, was just people using my pages as a reference, not really engaging in a conversation.

But it probably depends on the type of site you have, references to recipes or restaurant reviews (especially if they offer further real world experiences) are a great benefit for the reader to return to your post to see what other conversations it's generated.

Andrew said...

I do like the idea of trackbacks but like Cybele I was receiving hundreds of spam ones. Eventually the hosts got pissed off with them using so much bandwidth and removed the facility.

I am sure google is well aware of the scrapper type blogs and in my opinion they dont seem to last very long, so the effect on PR and so on shouldnt be a worry.

Anonymous said...

Andrew: I read that it is computed as a negative but I hope I am wrong and that Google's algorithm is crafted to care or that it will change to compensate for this sort of spam.