Sunday, April 17, 2005

[blog software] Redirecting from one blog software to another

I have noticed some people have switched from blogger to typepad (or from typepad to some other configuration) and am wondering if that's hard to do. Interestingly (ha ha) blogger doesnt have an answer for that in their knowledge base. When I first started with blogger I was super happy with it, but these days it seems like it might be time to move on. Is there a way to 1. redirect people and 2. move my entire blog to another site, without just pasting it there?

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I switched from blogger to typepad and cut and pasted my previous posts to the new site without any problems.

Elizabeth said...

Wordpress has instructions for how to move posts from blogger over to wordpress. I would be very surprised if typepad did not have a similar service.

Brenda said...

Since I'm thinking of switching fairly soon, I purchased my own domain names and have them redirected to my actual location.

To be more precise, I bought www.culinaryfool.com and www.seattleculinaryfool.com. Keying in either one currently will take you to http://spaces.msn.com/members/culinaryfool/.

When I get a new site up and running I'll just change the redirects to point to it.

I'm hoping this will minimize user confusion and frustration and help me keep my audience when I move.

You could also leave your blogger site live and make your last post a message with a link to your new location.

kitchenmage said...

i am currently figuring out MT and ran across their import/export instructions, which seem straightforward enough... the template for importing raw data is here. it looks like it'd be easy enough to convert data that already existed in pretty much any format...

kitchenmage said...

CORRECTION:
i said the instructions above were for MT, they are actually for Typepad... sorry! too many things with "type" in their names...

Rachael Narins said...

Thank you all so much for the great advice and links!

I will for sure be switching soon.

:-)

Rachael