Wednesday, October 18, 2006

[Writing] Food Writing Resource: Will Write for Food

.
Hi Ev’body!

Recently I picked up a copy of Will Write For Food. I was in a rush and thought it was a memoir…

Turns out, it isn’t a memoir at all, it’s "The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Restaurant Reviews, Articles, Memoir, Fiction and More…" (Had I only stopped to read the cover…)

Whatever it is or isn’t I still devoured it and now I thought I might suggest it to you all as a great resource.

What it is, is a book on how to write about food, and how to become a published food writer. Tips, tricks and more. Interesting stuff indeed. I was really impressed and plan on incorporating her thoughts to improve my own style (or lack thereof…)

Even if you are like me - NOT an aspiring (paid) food writer - there is a LOT of really good, really insightful information and exercises on everything from how to structure a recipe to ethics on reviewing a restaurant.

I was so charmed, I wrote an email to the author, Dianne Jacob, via her website , and she graciously replied, which I just loved. She also mentioned she is aware of this site (maybe she will include it in her next printing?) which made me smile.

For the record, no, I have no stake in her sales, I just wanted to share with you all about this great resource. I strongly urge you to check it out.

Cheers!
Rachael

This Post was written by Rachael from Fresh Approach Cooking


6 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Rachael, thanks! I remember someone (Amy from Cooking With Amy I think?) had recommended the book earlier. I always meant to get it, but never did, so I am going to Amazon right now to order it.

Liz said...

Ah Rachael, you are a goddess!

This was on my birthday list and now I know that I can't wait for someone to buy it for me, so off I go to Amazon to wrestle Kalyn for a copy.

Thanks!

Owen said...

I've corresponded in the past with Dianne about various publishing things - she's great and knows her stuff!

Plus she's in the Bay Area - always a good thing (me a Bay Area chauvinist!? how could you suggest that?)

Cate said...

Timing is everything. This book is one of the ones I actually brought with me on vacation last week. Lots of great tips.

FJKramer said...

I've taken some classes with Dianne and find her practical and motivating.

Unknown said...

Louis vuitton bags make great shoulder bags as well as cheap louis vuitton handbags and will make your man look like he has great fashion sense.5. louis vuitton handbags on sale have unisex bags as well. So guess what, you can buy louis vuitton bags cheap that both you and your significant other can get to enjoy depending on whose turn it is.