Monday, March 27, 2006

(Blogger Template) How do I shorten my main text ....

What I mean is: When certain posts are really long I would like to have the main part of the text on my main page and then add a "Continue reading" which takes the reader to the actual whole story. Now, I have tried all sorts of stuff.

E.G. using the span class ="extended" tags

And other variations. However, it just does not seem to work. When I click on the "Continue reading" link on my main page I am directed to the actual story page but it too is shortened with the rest of the text missing.

On several other blogs from blogspot I have noticed this does seems to work so the issue does not lie with blogspot. After viewing the source they too were using the same tags like I intended to. So, what could I be doing wrong? I'd appreciate your help on this.

One last thing ... I am one of the new pupils here and it's nice to be back at s'cool (NEVER thought I'd be saying that ;-))

This Post was written by Meeta from The Daily Tiffin

6 comments:

Erin Eats said...

The blogger step-by-step is here. If you follow it, you should be fine.

I tried this, but it puts a "Continue Reading" link at the bottom of every post, even if I haven't truncated the post.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Thanks Erin, I tried that too. First thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Second, I got the "Continue reading" on every post too. Does that bug you? It bugs me ... but I have decided to leave it for now hoping someone else will help (both of us) find a better way!

I used it on my personal blog:
The Family Buzz

Erin Eats said...

On that page, it says that it will appear on each page. Yeah, it bugged me enough to do away with it, I hated not being able to change the link text for each post.

Rose said...

Meeta,

Brownbreadicecream wrote a pretty good post on this a while back:

http://brownbreadicecream.blogspot.com/2005/06/solution-to-expandable-post-problem.html#fp

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Rose, Thanks!

That does sound like what I am looking for. Will try it out.

I really appreciate the help folks!

Meeta

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Rose,

That was it! It works like a charm.

Thank you for your help!
Cheers!
Meeta