Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Help! Sidebar now a bottom bar

I wa fiddling with ad formats and some freaky things happened, mainly my right hand sidebar fell to thebottom of my page and the main content column now spans the whole page.

I use Movable Type. Four months ago I upgraded to MT3.2 but this particular blog in stil in MT3.1

I've been through the index.html with a fine toothcomb and tried adding and subtracting
– adding one does cause the column (still down under) to shift left.

I've been through the CSS and can't see anything obvious although I did changemy link colours to green today.

I'm sure it's something simple but can't put my finger on it.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Ed from Tomato

5 comments:

Ed said...

ops sorry- this always happen to me. Sam how do I delete this?

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

Ed-

in your html, move your div id=right (and everything that resides within it) up just below div id= container (the second one) and before div id=centre.

this is a good reminder to create a test blog for format futzing before applying your changes to your live site.

Ed said...

Thanks Mcaluliflower. I pasted everything from div id right above centre and after container but all that did ws move the column to the top of the page. Was it all the code to paste or was I meant to leave a slash body and slash html at the bottom?

I'm afraid I'm a rank amateur and always forget to save the original template.

RadiationWatch said...

Ed, I'm not sure if any of these would fix it but in your HTML you have a div with the id centre, but in your CSS it's spelled center. Also, you have two divs with the same id container. You can only use the id attribute for one element per page.

Do you remember what part of the page you were fiddling with before things broke? Have you tried taking out that part?

Ed said...

Maki, you are a star. I'd accidentally deleted a dic centre and replaced it with centre. I was caught out by my English spelling and blind to the typo. Thanks again everyone.