Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Yes, Ingrid IS Real

I emailed Ingrid - purportedly of the food Network back about her intial email (outlined below). She says it is OK to post here, so here goes.

Hi Owen - My name is Ingrid Escajeda and I am a producer for the Food Network. I am currently working on a new series of short pieces called “The Power of Food”. They’re basically little 60-second mini-documentaries that tell the story of real people whose lives were changed by food.

I’m in the process of researching these stories and ran across your blog. Since you’re clearly a fellow food lover, I’m hoping that you might know of some that you could share with me. Either something you’ve heard or maybe something from an article that you've run across? I’m looking for personal stories that really capture the transformative power of food. They can be funny, touching, or both. Things like how being part of cooperative garden in the middle of the inner city maybe changed a kid’s perspective, or say, how someone trying to track down a certain ingredient met a future spouse in the one store they found it in. Basically, anything where food has really changed someone’s life.

If you do know of anything like that, I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions you could give me. I can be reached by email or by phone – (323) 874-7678.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Ingrid Escajeda

Producer

The Power of Food



That was the first email. Here is her response to me asking about letting you all know and for more detail.

Hi Owen - that would be fantastic!! Yes, they will end up being filmed. If their story is chosen, we would come out and shoot them talking about their story, intercut with footage that corresponds to their story, i.e. them in the kitchen, garden, etc.

There's going to be a submissions link in the "Be on Food Network" section of the Food Network website, but I don't think it's up and running yet. It's probably better to have people email me directly at:

foodshorts-power@yahoo.com

We're looking for stories that have a real emotional hook. Something that people can grasp onto. Does that make sense? Let me know if you have any other questions at a

Thanks you SO much for your help!!!


This Post was written by Owen from Tomatilla!

4 comments:

Alice said...

Aaaah, the Food Network. Make sure you have lots of time if they contact you. I was almost on their 'Calling All Cooks' show in 2002, just when I was finishing up my dissertation thesis.

My sister recommended my sushi parties for their show, and they had us shoot a footage of us in our appartment. Well, they liked the vibe and all, but wanted us to completely redocorate our poor, grad-student space with "Asian-inspired" decoration. They also called me a billion times at all hours of the day and demanded my immediate attention even when I told them I was in the middle of a important experiment.

Needless to say, I couldn't handle all the time commitment and bowed out. To their credit, they sent me a huge gift box of various sushi plates and "Asian-inspired" tableware even though I didn't go through with it.

Sorry I hacked your thread, Owen. It just brought back very vivid memories...

Jennifer said...

Thanks for doing the research!

I forwarded the email to the food editor of the local paper. I thought she might have some good stories in the archives.

Cate said...

Thanks for the info, Owen; think I may drop Ingrid a line. :)

Tery Spataro said...

I was surprised when she email me. I had a good conversation with her. I'm going to be in LA I thought I might see if I could meet with her while I'm in West Hollywood.