Wednesday, November 09, 2005

[Events] There is a website called upcoming.org that is effectively an open source calendar. It works a bit like other websites such as del.ic.ious and flickr, that use tagging to link particular themes, in this case, it links those themes through events.

There are so many food and wine related events that it's quite tough to keep track of them - so this is my attempt. I've organised a group on the site called Global Grub and stuck in some events I've been able to find. This will only work if people add their own and join up.

Whether it's full-on food fairs, local food festivals, conferences etc etc. Also if you join it will stop me feeling like billy no-mates. The site is particularly good, because you can add some events that are public for all and sundry to see, and others that only registered members can see. So for example I put in a dinner hosted by the forum Opinionated About as private - it can't be viewed by all - but other things, like a Slow Food event, is public. It's worth taking a look.

edited to clarify that this is aimed at real world events, I'm not recommending competition for IMBB.

This post was written by Silverbrow from Silverbrow on Food




5 comments:

Rachael Narins said...

Cool! Thanks!

Rachael Narins said...

Me again...I signed up, but now I am wondering if this will work for food blogging events...I just found ANOTHER one I missed out on, and would love for there to be a place I could find them ALL...what do you think?

Cate said...

I signed up too.

Rachael, Sam said she might consider putting something here, and I offered to help, so maybe a solution is on the way. I don't participate in that many, mostly because I can't keep track of them all. :)

Cate said...

Just wondering ... what about a completely separate blog just to have a list of events? I'd be happy to put one together and maintain it, if people wanted to e-mail me when they were having events, details, etc. Thoughts?

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

Hey Silverbrow- I just noticed you on my food event I had posted at upcoming! small world...

Are you a Eugenean? I can't find an about spot on your blog.

While its a bit late for this... why the heck is IMBB not clammoring to be the main scheduling blog for all events? shaking her head...