Sunday, January 28, 2007

new blogger publishing issue and resolution

Well, I finally migrated to the new blogger this morning. It appears to be successful but I did encounter one problem, due to my ignorance, so I thought I would share it (and the resolution) here in case others experience it.

After migration I could not republish any existing posts. Even when I made absolutely no change to them, I would get the "URL contains illegal characters" error.

After about 45 minutes spent reading the help and playing around I realized that the Link field expects a URL, not just words. I really never understood the function of that Link field. I thought blogger used the text in it to generate the permalink, so I always put my post title there. That worked fine in old blogger but new blogger doesn't like it. If I make it blank, it publishes fine.

Even though I am now able to republish, I would like to understand the function of that Link field. The blogger help is not very helpful. How you do you all use this field?

Thanks!

This Post was written by Lydia from Kitchen Exhibitionist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand what you intend as I can't find a link field on my Blogger publishing page so I can't help you. But I would love to know what it is!

Kalyn Denny said...

Ilva, the link field is something you turn on and off in the settings tab in Dashboard. I know that, but I have no idea what it's used for.